Ok, so I was reading an insert that came in the Sunday paper and there was a question about if it is ok to eat the eyes of a potato. Now, I never do because my Mom always cut them out, so I followed her example and always cut them out. (Incidentally, I talked to her about this, and she always cut them out because her mom always cut them out!! --- That's the power of example!!)
However, curiosity had me wondering...is it ok to eat them? It turns out that it is NOT ok to eat them. Marilyn vos Savant answered their question this way:
"No, you should avoid them. The "eyes" are just buds that will grow into potato plants, but they may contain too much solanine, a neurotoxin that occurs naturally in many plants. It can cause anything from nausea to paralysis. In severe cases, it even can be fatal.
"Most of the toxin is produced as a potato ages, is handled roughly or is exposed to light or temperature extremes. Potatoes that are old, spongy, or greenish anywhere - even under the skin - shouldn't be eaten. The green is chlorophyll, which is harmless, but the color is a sign that solanine is present. And the eyes have even more toxin at this time."
I found this fascinating and thought I would share. :)
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment